Thank you for clicking on the link our latest project for Tacloban, Philippines. This particular project will be personally delivered by us when we are back on the Philippines island of Leyte during October/November 2015. All of our projects have a total project cost but we ideally we would like sponsorship on a “per child” basis to keep with promise of providing an opportunity for many friends & followers to get involved. Read on for further details……
We have 28 very excited children in Tacloban, Philippines patiently waiting for our return. Actually when I was on there earlier last month some of the kids thought we told them the wrong month for the next lessons. I assured them that there was only 6 weeks until our return.
We first trialed running a swim school program in Tacloban March this year with 18 local children & it was a huge success. We received wonderful support from Volunteer for the Visayans (VFV) plus other kind international volunteers assisted us. We witnessed first-hand how the children were at first still apprehensive about the water but by the 4th day the kids were more confident and actually began to enjoy swimming like kids should.
Some of kids could still be carrying dark memories of Typhoon Yolanda which devastated the area in 2014. A few of them needed a comforting cuddle at times. Hopefully we have assisted in making those thoughts a thing of the past. Their new swimming skills will help them journey through life.
For further information of the last event please click here to view our earlier Facebook post.
This upcoming program we have decided include an extra 10 kids. Overall we will run 2 separate sessions daily of 15 kids each broken down into 3 smaller teams of 5 kids. The kids will receive focused swimming lesson time plus lots of practice time (or fun supervised free time in the pool).
The program will run during the last week of the October which is also the Philippines semester school break. The program will operate on Monday, Wednesday, Friday with a special graduation day on the Saturday where parents are invited for the kids to show off their new swimming skills. I’m sure the kids will one day help their parents with correct swimming technique too.
The overall project cost will cover:-
- 4 days of focused swimming lessons
- Swimming venue hire fees (we are returning to Leyte Park Resort again)
- Return transport daily to the swimming venue from the Bliss community
- A Sun smart swimming top for each child which they will keep at the end of the program.
- Sunblock (sunscreen) protection
- Use of swimming goggles kindly donated by Elite Swimming in Melbourne, Australia
- Sandwiches & drinks at the conclusion of each daily session
- Personalised certificate of participation presented at the conclusion of the program (each kind sponsor will be individually recognised)
- Laminated portrait photo given to each child as a souvenir of the event.
- Oh did we inform you that the program finishes on Halloween? Perhaps a trick or special treat too?
We are able to offer a “per child” sponsorship amount of only A$40. Everyone involved in the organising and delivery of this project are donating their own personal time.
Like with all of our projects, all individual sponsors will be officially recognised.
Swim School Crew
Also please take a look at our other side project for October 2015:- Northern Tacloban City National High School (Girls Futsal Team Uniforms)