Thank you for viewing our latest project for Tacloban, Philippines.
This particular project will be personally delivered by us when we are back on the Philippines island of Leyte during April 2016. All of our projects have a total project cost but ideally we would like sponsorship on a “per child” basis to keep with promise of providing an opportunity for many friends & followers to get involved. For this particular project, we are able to offer a “per child” sponsorship amount of only A$50 (approx US$36). Read on for further details……
We first trialed running a swim school program in Tacloban March last year with 18 local Tacloban children & it was a huge success. We received wonderful support from Volunteer for the Visayans (VFV) plus also other kind international volunteers assisted us. We witnessed first-hand how the children were at first still apprehensive about the water but by the 4th day the kids were more confident and actually began to enjoy swimming like kids should.
Some of kids could still be carrying dark memories of Typhoon Yolanda which devastated the area in November 2013. A few of them needed a comforting cuddle at times. Hopefully we have assisted in making those thoughts a thing of the past. Their new swimming skills will help them journey through life.
We also returned to Tacloban October last year and successfully delivered another swim school program to 28 kids.
For further information of the last event please view our earlier Facebook posts via these two links:
This upcoming project in April 2016 will see us delivering two separate swim school programs.
The first program is to be held in another Leyte island location called Tanauan which is about 1hr out of Tacloban City.
Through our Philippines aid partner (Volunteer for the Visayans), we have identified approx 12-15 kids in & around Tanauan which are part of their Child Sponsorship Program. Our projects are designed to supplement the already great ongoing work they do for these kids and their disadvantaged families. For more information on VFV’s Child Sponsorship Program please check out their website (here). We are also happy to help anyone from a “sponsor” perspective so please feel free to contact us directly with any of your questions.
The second program will be the following week in Tacloban City. It will be held at the same venue as the ceremony day of our last project in October 2015.
Everyone involved, especially the kids & parents are excited that we will be delivering swim school project #3 & #4.
The overall project cost will cover:-:-
1) 4 days of focused swimming lessons (weekend for Tanauan kids)
2) Swimming venue hire fees
3) Return transport daily to the swimming venue from their local community
4) Swimwear for each child which they will keep at the end of the program.
5) Sunblock (sunscreen) protection
6) Use of swimming goggles kindly donated by Elite Swimming in Melbourne, Australia
7) Sandwiches & drinks at the conclusion of each daily session
8) End of program graduation day for event location where parents will be invited to join us to witness the child’s new skills live in action.
9) Personalised certificate of participation presented at the conclusion of the program (each kind sponsor will be individually recognised on these certificates)
10) Graduation gift for each kid if we can secure a generous corporate sponsor again (similar to the awesome sports caps donated by AFL Football Team “North Melbourne Kangaroos” on both previous projects – www.nmfc.com.au)
11) Laminated portrait photo given to each child as a souvenir of the event.
We are able to offer a “per child” sponsorship amount of only A$50 (approx US$36). Everyone involved in the organising and delivery of this project are donating their own personal time.
Like with all of our projects there will be no deductions for our own expenses or those of our kind loyal volunteers in the Philippines. 100% of your kind sponsorship donation goes directly to the kids. Our only rewards are the kids smiles & their sincere words of “thank you”.
To get involved & help us with this current project simply click here or on the photo below
Salamat (Thank you)!